Week 5

     Update on my life plan - I don't think I want to have a floral booth anymore.  I think I want that skill in my portfolio, but I don't want to do that for forever.  Here are a few of the reasons: first, the pay is crap. I looked at some job postings and the best paying one I found was for $18 an hour.  Second, growing flowers is a lot of manual labor, and I'm not a spring chicken.  Third, I'd have to buy land to be able to grow the flowers. These are the beginning of many reasons.  So, maybe I'll just get a side gig and learn the craft and be happy having that talent.  After meeting with Tonya Neilson to interview her for the Career Development class, I kinda got back to thinking about party decor.  I could get a storage unit and just have a price list of what people could rent.  I would just have to make enough to cover the rent.  People could supply their own manual labor and I just get to shop for the fun stuff.  I'm going to think about that recommendation from a friend.

    I really enjoyed this week's readings from "A Hero's Journey".  In Launching Leaders, they encouraged us to be good storytellers. Sandefer has collected anecdotes, messages and poems throughout history that teach us to live our best lives, to find our true selves, and to be careful in our decisions in life.  It’s the constant daily choice of choosing the easy path or choosing the harder right.  Ending in chapter four with examples of who we should surround ourselves with, shows that is our fellow travelers in life can make our lives easier or harder.  We always have the ability to choose for ourselves, but whether those choices lead to a better life, is up to us. 

 My favorite of these chapters was the poem “Can’t” by Edgar A Guest.  It ties very well with the reading “Are Successful Entrepreneurs Born or Made?”  They both connect the virtue of persistence as the only way of being successful. I printed and posted the quote from Calvin Coolidge and it prompted a conversation with my youngest daughter on how education, genius, or talent can only get you so far in life, but it is the continued effort of making things happen in your favor that will lead you to success. 

The stories and poems chosen, teach lessons and reflect on how we can apply the morals of these stories to our own lives.  Anyone would be better off listening to the guidance in this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 13

Week 14

Week 12