Week 10

 To become and not just do, was the message from Elder Oaks, which also sounds like something Yoda would say.  We can choose to go through the motions that are laid out in paths for us, or we can take the next step and become what we are seeking after.  Elder Oaks explains to us that it is important to have a testimony, but like Christ teaching the apostles, we need to be converted unto the Lord.  

So, I ask myself, "How am I to learn how to do this?" Elder Oaks teaches that "Our family relationships—even more than our Church callings—are the setting in which the most important part of that development can occur. The conversion we must achieve requires us to be a good husband and father or a good wife and mother. Being a successful Church leader is not enough. Exaltation is an eternal family experience, and it is our mortal family experiences that are best suited to prepare us for it."  It is through my relationships as a mother, daughter, sister that I will learn to be truly converted.  Years back, while giving a talk, I said, "The ones we love the most, are the ones we treat the worst." I was surprised by the amount of head-shaking that went on in the congregation.  I guess it's not just the Jones household that struggles with this!  If we are to become like Christ, then this should include loving those that we love the most.  We should have the most patience with them.  I can do better in my example as a faith-filled follower of Christ.  

My daughter was asked to teach the lesson in YW tomorrow.  Her final challenge is, "What are you willing to do to have your home filled with the Spirit?"  I am going to take my studies and her lesson to set a goal to try harder to become like Christ and that the qualities and characteristics of Him are reflected in me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 13

Week 14

Week 12